Wednesday, 06 November 2019, the recently appointed Permanent Secretary, Mr. Dusengiyumva Samuel assumed the responsibilities right after the official handover with Ms Ingabire Assumpta, the outgoing Permanent Secretary.
The handover ceremony was observed by Hon. Minister of Local Government Prof. Shyaka Anastase, together with Senior Managers of MINALOC and its affiliated agencies.
In her farewell remarks, Ms Ingabire Assumpta thanked MINALOC Management, Staff and local government in general for a “conducive environment she worked under for about two years in office”.
On the other hand, the incoming Permanent Secretary Mr. Dusengiyumva Samuel expressed his joyfulness following a warm and friendly welcome extended to him from the Hon. Minister, MINALOC family and Local Government members.
“I know the workload ahead is quite huge and challenging due to its basic role in the transformation of the country, but we have the will and ability to achieve it.” He said
Mr. Dusengiyumva pledged to be result oriented, work with the team in place, under the existing good working framework that will help the Ministry deliver to its mandate of transforming lives of Rwandans.
Both Permanent Secretaries, thanked the President of the Republic for continued trust in them.
The Permanent Secretary is the senior technical staff of the Ministry. He/she provides expertise to lower ministry officials and is charged with coordination of all the technical and administrative activities of the Ministry.
He/she is responsible for:
- Establishing and implementing government policies, strategies and programs related to territorial administration, good governance, resettlement and Community development as well as welfare of the population;
- Monitoring and executing the Ministry budget and that of the institutions under supervision of the ministry;
- Supervising the functioning of institutions under ministry’s supervision. He/she collaborates with development partners and other senior government officials to ensure good corporation between their respective institutions and the ministry and mobilizes the necessary resources to implement ministry MTEF and other abrupt programs;
- Carryout research relevant to his/her attributions to ensure standardized and effective performance;
- He/she reports to the minister and do any other duties assigned.